Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Years!

I've been hearing some half-hearted fireworks going off in the distance and being a little slow, it took me a while to realize they actually have a legitimate reason for shooting them off. Legitimate in my mind, I mean; I am sure all the normal fireworks have some kind of legitimate reason.
“We're getting married!”
“We're building a new building and want to scare off the evil spirits!”
“We're opening a new restaurant and want everyone to know it's a happening place!”
“It's some kind of holiday!”
“It's the day after the holiday and I have fireworks left over!”
“It's Tuesday!”

But even though I have been preparing for our New Years Eve potluck tonight, I rather forgot it was New Years Eve. Besides, I'm not used to celebrating the same holidays as Chinese people. (Chinese New Year, January 23 this year, is a much bigger deal, but they still celebrate the solar calendar New Year too.)

I think 2012 will be a good year. After all, it's a nicely proportional even number, unlike those tricky, unstable odd ones. To celebrate, I plan to stay up until at least midnight Guam time (aka. 10pm).

Happy New Years, wherever you are!

1 comment:

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode said...

That cracks me up about the fireworks! Happy New Year - and have a blast when your parents visit!